Thursday 1 November 2007

Into the World

Since I arrived in Doha on September the 19th, I have had to stay in Qatar for two reasons:
1. If I left Qatar, the whole Residence Permit process would be cancelled, and I'd essentially have to start all over again;
2. My passport got confiscated on my first day at the office.

I am finally able to leave Qatar, as my passport came back from the government yesterday. So now I've got a passport with pages waiting to be filled (I'm almost through my second set... I can ask for one more set before I have to ask for a new passport).

So the first thing I did? I called the admin. assistant in HR, told her I had gotten my RP back, and we had the usual conversation about how nice it was, etc. Then I asked for the company letter so I could apply for my liquor permit. Her response? "I thought that would be what you were calling for..."

Is it a Cornell pattern of habit, to promptly request liquor permit letters from Cornell?

So anyway I visited the Qatar Distribution Center today, and got my liquor card. I can have quite a party, as I get 3,000 a riyal limit on purchasing. It's supposed to be 10% of your salary or so, but they often bump it up quite a bit.

The inside is well-lit, clean, and staff are very friendly and helpful. I was carrying a case of beer, and a staff member literally ran off to find me a non-existent trolley. Female advantage, check one.

Prices, for those who know Japan, are quite similar. Only the selection is heaps better. No Suntory Whiskey, though, I don't think. I didn't spend long--the shop was packed today since it's Thursday.

2 comments:

Jocelyn and Tony said...

So funny - I blogged on the same thing. I don't think it is a Cornell thing, as much as an EXPAT thing :-)

http://marhaban-qatar.blogspot.com/2007/10/buying-drink-in-qatar.html

Mercenary Librarian said...

I agree, but more specifically, it is an expat in the GCC thing. When you know you aren't supposed to drink, that's exactly when you want to. A bunch of folks here always drool over pork too, but back home, they don't give it a second thought.