Wednesday 31 October 2007

International People, International Plugs




I have one of those World Traveler plug sets from Samsonite that I got in 2002. I never thought I would actually use it, but it was on clearance.

Then I moved to Qatar, and I've used every plug already. That is, all of them except for the North America/Japan one. I still remember using the British 3-pin in the Intercon, but switching to a two-pin at the airport.

Electronics here, for the most part, all come with the same plugs--either British 3-pin or a two-pin. If you have a two-pin, you have to either plug your item into a universal fuse box (middle), or a two-pin cover, which then can go into an extension cord.

The universal fuse boxes are great, because you can put plugs of all sizes into them. Even North American plugs will go into the bottom. They're cheap, at only 3 riyals or so at the Carrefour. You can plug two or three things into one, so the Samsonite set comes in handy. I'm definitely picking up some more before I relocate to another British plug-style country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeh! maji de?! Honto ni sugoi na! yappa Jessica-san wa kokusaijin ya na!

namabiru said...

んー。すーげいなー。おはしもつかれるよ。(^^)。 It's like some guy in the Carrefour said, though, "Every plug in this country is a different size." I distinctly remember using one size at the Intercon, and another size at Doha International Airport... heh.