Tuesday 26 June 2007

Qatar trip

I received an e-mail last week from the director at Weill Cornell Medical College-Qatar (www.qatar-med.cornell.edu), and I get to go to Qatar in a few weeks for a full interview!

I am really excited to get to go to Doha to meet the library staff and interview. The Qatar Foundation (http://www.qf.edu.qa/output/page1.asp) is doing a lot of good things with education, and my brief (which will be detailed quite soon) look at the information online has been very impressive. Facilities are top-notch, and people are expending a lot of energy and effort into building what I believe will become a world-class research and education center. The whole complex is called Education City. In fact, it is becoming a city of sorts, as there are shops, cinemas, housing, primary schools, and other necessary/desirable perks to living just outside Doha.

The medical college in particular is doing a lot of information literacy outreach with other schools in Education City as well as hospitals in Doha. This especially appeals to me, as I'm interested in "in the trenches" librarianship.

I hope that I do well in my interview, and that the other staff feel I would be a good match for the team. It would truly be an honor to be offered a position.

No comments: