Sunday 4 March 2007

Environmentally-friendly grocery store

To follow up with my post today about no stores wanting to reuse bags, I must humbly retract what I said.

I took my nice paper shopping bags back to Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com) to do some shopping, and in the words of one of my favorite movies Capote (excellent flick, wonderful with red wine so you feel all falsely classy and gourmet), they were quite pleased that I brought my shopping bags back. In fact, they are so pleased with those who bring shopping bags that they give raffle tickets to the conformists. Once a month 3 tickets are drawn, and the lucky Golden Ticket holders each get a $35 gift certificate.

Kudos!

That's an awful lot of La Boca. La Boca is this middle-class wine offered at plonk prices. Unlike the other plonk wines, which come only in various colors, La Boca comes in different flavours. Just like what rich people drink.

I know, isn't it incredible?

Ha ha, speaking of plonk, there was this real whack job in the shop today. First she drove the poor worker crazy with her inability to locate items from the flyer in a 4-aisle store, despite the fact that they are clearly marked with 'frequent flyer' thingies next to the price. (Truthfully, I think her inability could be translated as yodakii, which is Oita dialect for 'can't be bothered' or 'too lazy', because the store is only 4 aisles and easily navigated) Then she couldn't comprehend why things in the sales flyer weren't on sale, despite the man's cheerful explanation that Trader Joe's doesn't have sales, but those items are merely featured items. Then she told the man that they really should put which aisle each item is located on, so people don't have so much trouble finding things.

You just can't help some people.

Actually, I started laughing hysterically. I was reading a pizza box. A woman came up to me and asked what was funny on the pizza box. So I told her in a low voice about this whole interaction, and the woman, bless her she was my hero, said 'Well, the winter tends to bring more of them out around here...'

My day out in Tucson.

The spinach pizza was wonderful, although the crust was a little tough, and ingredients a little sparse. But what can you ask for on a frozen gourmet pizza. No preservatives though, that was good.

No comments: