Monday 5 March 2007

Book the cruise...

So I'm putting together my taxes. They're not too hard, basically copy what I had the year before with a few exceptions, mostly because I wasn't in Japan for the entire 2006 year, so I had to do math.

But anyhoo, the point is that I had to look up and find out how much taxable interest I earned on my savings accounts. I am pleased to tell you all that since opening a bank account with Wells Fargo in August, I proudly earned USD$0.15 interest.

I thought it was kind of funny, anyway.

Although depending on where you are, you can purchase quite a few things with 15 cents. In Bangkok, a train ride from the train station to Don Muang airport only cost me 3 baht, or roughly 8 cents. So I quite possibly could do round-trip.

So perhaps instead of booking the cruise, I should look into booking myself passage to Bangkok, where I can use my $.15. Although I don't know how much it costs to go to the new airport in Bangkok, and I've also heard that there are some issues with the place already. Then again, if it were a perfectly done setup, it wouldn't be quintessentially Southeast Asian, would it?

I sometimes miss the passive 'whatever' attitude one naturally adopts when traveling or living in Asia. Forgot to give the driver your ticket? Whatever. Need to call the airline company to change your ticket, but forgot? Whatever. Couldn't be bothered to turn up at 10 to meet the travel agent? Whatever. Planning to catch the 10.45 ferry, but started watching a movie in the pub next to the ferry port and missed it? Whatever.

If you do the 'whatever' thing here, some people really freak.

Anyway.

No comments: