Tuesday 19 September 2006

Work

So this is where I spend most of my week at school--the Main Library. When my training is done, I will work for 30 hours a week here, in shelving, paging, and Japanese collections. There are three other libraries on campus--Fine Arts, Science/Engineering, and Law.
The Main Library has 5 floors, with the ground floor going to the Information Commons. You enter the library on the first floor, and then go up 3 floors to get to the 5th.
The Main Library just got Wireless installed, so I've worked there twice with a laptop. I naturally bought a security lock for my laptop, which is basically an expensive bike chain you can use to lock your laptop to a table. That way I can go get materials I need.


In Japanese collections, I am responsible for placing orders and receiving them when the books come. I don't do any cataloging, and the job mostly requires the ability to read Japanese (readings are given for the kanji) and to transcribe it into roman letters. However, as long as I can locate and know ISBN numbers, I'm fine.
So, yes, I am working with materials written in Japanese.
Here are a few of the books I received the other day.

No comments: