Saturday 19 August 2006

Long Strange Trip...

So I've been moving in to my new apartment at the University of Arizona (http://www.arizona.edu) in Tucson, Arizona, and it's been a trip and a half. I have 3 roommates, but we all have our own bedroom and bathroom so it doesn't seem so bad. My two roomies are Angie and Audra. We have another roomie, Haruka, but we haven't heard from her. She moved her stuff in and went back to Japan to visit.

Angie and Audra are really cool though. We're similar personality-wise, so it's a good time.

Yesterday was Angie's birthday, so we had tacos and chocolate cake. The tacos came courtesy of Audra, because I had a meeting, and I made the chocolate cake. They're calling me Suzy Homemaker now, because tonight I threw together a hamburger quiche and, on a whim, folded the paper towels into cranes.

Today Audra and I went to a library orientation. It was pretty cool. We went to different stations, and got stamps. If we went to all the stations, we got a piece of pizza and a fruit slushy.

The highlight of the library tour was, by far, the Information Commons, which can be seen at http://www.ilc.arizona.edu/features/infocom.htm

It's a new part of the library, and has a lot of different areas to work. Some of the campus is now wireless, and other parts will eventually become so. I'm on ethernet in the apartment though. I was flat-out impressed by this part of the building, and will most definitely spend some time here I'm sure.

I met with my advisor, and I'm not sure whether I should do a thesis or not. I'd like to go abroad, so I might be able to get some grant money to go study if it supports research.

I was originally going to try to graduate next Spring, but I may slow down a little bit. I feel like I should take advantage of more opportunities at U of A while I'm here, and that will probably mean staying 2 years to do so.

No comments: