Monday 28 March 2011

Aussie Aussie Aussie

While the aftereffects of the triple disaster (earthquake, tsunami, nuclear power plant) continue to shock Japan, I have moved from Japan to Australia, where I am undertaking a 1-year working holiday. This move was not due to the recent tragedies; rather, it was a pre-planned endeavor for which the departure date just happened to fall 2 weeks after all hell broke loose in Tohoku.

I must confess that it is a relief to be somewhere where the ground is not continually moving, and I don't have to worry about power outages, but the mentality still remains-- I am conscientious of the electricity I am using, and yesterday I caught myself assessing the bottled water stocks at the supermarket in Cairns.

The disaster is still ongoing in Japan, and I continue to urge you to donate to established causes such as the Red Cross if you have not already-- it is 35C and humid here, but snowy and freezing for those without electricity. You may argue that Japan is an advanced nation, and the second largest economy to boot, but I ask you to consider this: What if the shoe were on the other foot, and you, in an equally advanced nation, had been through a similar tragedy?

Indeed, in the numerous conversations I have had since reaching Australia (it is strange to converse in English again!), the fact that I was living just outside Tokyo eventually emerges, and the usual questions follow such as:
-- Did I feel the earthquake?
-- Was I near the tsunami zone?
-- What was it like? Was it scary?
-- Did I know anyone in the North?...
and so on and so forth. It's all still very overwhelming.

Righto. So meanwhile I am off on a fantastic liveaboard in Papua New Guinea-- I got a luxury grade cruise for roughly 33% of the regular price, for a 10-night voyage. I look forward to posting my report of the trip quite soon!

No comments: