Friday 25 February 2011

Cut-Rate Luxury

Being an information junkie, I subscribe to a variety of newsletters on topics which interest me-- libraries, dive kit, travel... most of the time I at least open and skim through to find out what's going on, but other times I just hit delete as I don't have the time to read.

The recent newsletter e-mail from Dancer Fleet almost suffered the deletion fate, but I ended up opening and skimming out of lack of something better to do at the moment. Then the large banner advertising a 10-night expedition to Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea at the end of March jumped out at me. More importantly, the special price of USD$1,000** per person landed me hook, line, and sinker.
** Well, okay. $1,000 for the liveabooard price. $125 for environment and port tax fees. $200 for Nitrox add-on (which I would do on an 8.5 day liveaboard). Roughly $100 to $150 voluntary crew gratuity. But still...

'Surely this has sold out already,' I thought to myself, 'but I'll send an e-mail to see what they have to say.' I got a reply that the last single female berth was currently pending sale to someone, but if they declined then I had a shot. The weekend consisted of eagerly checking on flights to price the entire journey, to see if the trip was even feasible.

On Monday I get the magic e-mail-- the spot is mine if I want it. Do I??? As the saying goes, does a bear poo in the woods? Here was the chance to dive a pristine location-- and unexplored territory at that-- on a luxury liveaboard, for 1/3 the normal price. A confirmation e-mail back, a link requesting me to fill out the travel form and to pay, and I'm in. Sweet.

Today I received a package from Dancer Fleet containing a receipt, 2 luggage tags, and a complimentary dive log. In reading the liveaboard description, here are some of what they call "signature" services (as taken directly from the brochure):
-- Morning hot beverage delivered to your cabin.
-- Sit-down dinner service
-- Plush terry cloth bathrobes
-- Evening turn-down service
-- Fresh/warm deck towels after every dive
-- Mid-week linen changes in cabin
-- 24-hour manned safety watch by crew

Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I'm the type of person who always enters contests but never wins anything, so to have the opportunity to do this is truly fantastic and lucky. I've been through quite a bit in the last few months, between getting horribly ill and tearing my ACL, so this is kind of a survival treat of sorts.

I have learned from these ordeals that life is about having experiences, and the memories will last much longer than the possessions will. DVD players wear out, cars get old, and clothing stretches or gets holes, but the memories and photographs are a lightweight item to be carried anywhere, and can't be confiscated by Customs on arrival.

But meanwhile... oh boy oh boy oh boy, I'm going to Papua New Guinea in luxury, at backpacker prices!!!

1 comment:

susie said...

This is going to be a fantastic trip....it sounds wonderful!!! I'm glad you didn't trash the newsletter, as I'm sure you are too!