Saturday 24 January 2009

Sydney

I have had the privilege of spending the last 8 days in Sydney. It’s my first (of what I hope is many) times to Australia, and so far the experience has been good. I am in Australia courtesy of the education leave clause in my contract, which gives me one education leave per fiscal year to attend a conference, course, or series of workshops relevant to my profession.

I arrived in Sydney on Friday morning, after a very long flight from Doha (15 hours of flying total; all in all it took me 22 hours to get to Sydney). While it’s good to arrive in the evening when you are going somewhere, if you have to arrive in the morning or during the day sunshine helps you adjust more quickly to the time changes. It’s an 8-hour time difference between Doha and Sydney.

So I decided to go on a walkabout, to find coffee and to have a look around the city. I headed up George Street toward the Harbor Bridge and Sydney Opera House. Sydney Opera House is something I’ve always wanted to see. My conclusions, though, are while it’s quite impressive from a distance, up close it’s not so shiny and white. It’s still a magnificent piece of architecture, though.


There are some more photos on my Flickr! account

2 comments:

AM said...

Nice pics! That's an awesome view from your hotel room!!! Enjoy your time there :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing and hope you're having a wonderful time!

Take care,
From the Big Sky Country