Saturday 25 October 2008

The Return of the Dreaded Winter Wear




I am taking my winter wear from the cupboards, and airing it out, even though it is only October.

No, winter hasn't struck Doha yet. I have until January or so to dread the inevitable. I am preparing my luggage for my upcoming long weekend in London.

My concept of winter is perfectly transposed with my friend's. As a year-long resident in Doha, and a staunch anti-winter type, winter constitutes temperatures which fall below, say, 16C. Winter, then, was an infinitely long 3-week span which fell in January last year. During this time, I wore wool jumpers and wool-blend socks to work, as well as a light jacket. I never thought it would end. My friend, as a born-and-bred Dane, undoubtedly considers 16C temperatures to be the 3-week-long heat wave which hits the Scandinavian countryside each July.

To put this in a different perspective...
I checked the weather this morning at 10.30am (7.30 am in London). Doha had temperatures of 31C, and only because there is a light cloud cover today. London, on the other hand, was 5C.

Yesterday I splashed for trash, and came home with a red face from too much sun. In London, I will come home with a red face from freezing outside...

If you want to find me in London, look for the short lady who resembles the Michelin man, and has to go through doors sideways.

No comments: