Monday 7 July 2008

Cornell Graduate




On Sunday I got a certificate in the mail from Cornell University.

Now, before you get really excited, thinking I've committed yet another brilliant feat, let me explain.

Cornell University offers CE (Continuing Education) courses via their online teaching platform, eCornell. As a Cornell employee (well, I'm really employed by the medical college), one of my benefits is tuition reimbursement. I get up to a substantial dollar amount reimbursed for tuition upon completion of job-related courses. As an aside, this is one reason I've tossed around the idea of going to business school to get an MBA-- if Cornell will pay for all, or at least most, of it, then why not? If not business school, then a second Master's in something.

Also, as a Cornell employee, the courses offered by eCornell carry a significant discount.

As a few of my co-workers are doing eCornell courses, I also decided to take some courses. As it turns out, I managed to take 11 of them, to get a certificate in Supervisory Studies. I took 2-week courses in things like interview procedure and selection, management issues, legal issues in the workplace, communication styles, and time management. I also got .6CE credits for each course I completed, so I have some CE credits for my CV.

But as many of my blog posts have to have some ironic twist of humor (whether it's actually funny or not is another topic for debate), here's today's:
1. It cost USD$25 to send my plaque here.
2. The plaque is valued at USD$10 on the customs declaration form.

Yet the plaque arrived within a month of its being sent, and the postmark *does* say 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news! Kudos to you for going the extra mile and continuing your education. Love you, Mom :0)