Friday 11 July 2008

Beach Treasure!


Today on my usual trek to Old Club Reef I came across some fantastic beach treasure that had washed up with the tide this morning (presumably). I am now the proud owner of one of those dive knives that you strap to your leg-- a 150 riyal+ value!

On my way to the water on my first dive, I noticed that the knife was halfway buried in the sand, with only the straps showing. Thinking it maybe belonged to the group of divers next to me, I left it alone to be claimed. However, an hour and a half later, the knife hadn't moved. When I picked it up and had a look, the sand inside the carrier, plus the rust, told me it had been underwater for a while.

The sand washed off, and the rust was removed thanks to two tins of Pepsi I had in my fridge plus a couple hours of soaking. There are a couple small bits of rust left, but they don't really affect the knife's use.

I had been thinking about purchasing one for a while, as knives are important here. No, not to protect oneself from the yellow banded angelfish (which I've learned like to bite little white girl librarian fingers, even when I'm minding my own business), but to cut the miles and miles of fishing line one comes across in the water. I had been carrying an inexpensive 20 riyal pocket knife, but it's not the most effective thing to use.

Had I waited long enough, a couple of cylinders may have also washed up on the beach so I didn't have to buy any of those either.

No comments: