Friday 22 February 2008

My New Car

After nearly a month of one headache following the next, my bank loan was finally processed, and I got my car. I purchased a 2004 GMC Envoy (affectionately referred to as 'the tank' by some) from my co-worker. It is extremely cheap to drive an SUV here, not just because of the cheap petrol but also the insurance. In Qatar, you insure the vehicle, not the driver. For one year of comprehensive insurance, I paid about the equivalent of what I was paying per year in the States for my 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix. Petrol, though, is cheap. It only costs me 50 riyals (maybe USD$13 or so) to fill up with a tank of super (middle-grade) petrol.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed!!! Even if it is being referred to as the tank. I'm sure you'll appreciate the extra room with the diving gear.
Also, enjoyed the New York Times article.