Saturday 2 February 2008

Donut Chit Scalping

I found this kind of funny. Krispy Kreme, the donut chain, opened its first store in Doha last night. It has been highly publicized for about a month in both English and Arabic, and towards the opening date you could see the KK trucks on the road.

So anyway, their big promotion was that the first 25 people in line would get a dozen free donuts a week for a year, and the next 25 people would get the dozen donuts, but only for 6 months. (Have I told you before that diabetes is a huge concern in the Middle Eastern populations?)

So yesterday the shop opened, and I'm sure there were 1,000 riyal a month construction workers camped out since it was Friday. I didn't go over to see.

This morning I was on Qatar Living, a localized chat/classified ad site, and sure enough-- two people who camped in line for HOURS had their coupons for sale.

I guess ticket scalping not only happens with entertainment, but with donuts as well. Both ads are elaborate, as the people took the time to calculate how much the donuts actually cost in order to give the 'discount'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there namabiru...

It's Jocelyn from You can observe a lot just by watching...

Glad you enjoyed the post on Daiso. I absolutely LOVE it! I do have one question that you can probably answer quite easily: How do you pronounce the name? Is it like Die-so, or Day-so? Sorry to ask through the comments section, but I didn't see a place to email you. Feel free to email me back at jozp_us@yahoo.com.

As for Krispy Kreme...yes, the advertising campaign was something else. I don't know if you noticed, but when they first put the ads up at Villagio, they featured pictures of people holding the donuts, but not eating them. Then last week they were switched to ads with pictures of people actually eating the donuts. Pretty slick...

When the Krispy Kreme opened in my hometown of Grand Rapids, people went nuts. I must admit to falling under the hypnotic sway of their sugary fattiness for a while...I swear they put crack in the batter.

So far I have been able to resist them here, and plan on keeping it that way. I'll enjoy homemade bran muffins with a hot cup of Nescafe instead!