Sunday 21 October 2007

The Qatari World--Outside Doha

Camel caution sign south of Doha. I didn't see any camels on my first drive, when I had my camera. Tthis morning, however, when going diving, while my camera was safely stored at Cornell Towers, I saw a whole herd next to the road. It's like John from the diving club said last weekend-- when you don't have your camera, that's when you see all the good stuff.

Anyway. During Eid, and this weekend too, I got out of Doha to see what some more of Qatar looked like. It's quite a different world once you leave Doha too.

My first time out, I went to Mesaaid, an industrial area 30 km south of Doha. The big claims to fame in Mesaaid, besides all the chemical factories, are the Sealine Resort and the dune bashing. There is an artificial reef at Mesaaid called Old Club Reef, which is constructed of old boats, buses, cars, tires, and other miscellaneous castoff items.

Last weekend, I also went to Al Khor, another community 50 km or so north of Doha. From there, we went diving offshore in the Arabian Gulf. There are two wrecks which sit side-by-side that you can see.


Views of the desert south of Doha, toward Mesaaid. The drive north to Al Khor looks quite similar. I am sure, too, that when I go west to Dukham, I will see similar countryside.

No comments: