Sunday 30 September 2007

Medical Clearance

I just got an e-mail from my Immigration rep at HR, and my medical clearance came through today without any problems. I'm glad, as once at the medical commission was quite enough. So unless I have some outstanding criminal record I don't know about, I get to stay in Doha. (^^)

My last step is getting fingerprinted, which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Then I will wait for my Residence Permit to clear. There will be a bigger delay than usual since Ramadan should, in theory, end next week sometime. It depends on the moon. Most places get a 3-day holiday; the government takes 5. So obviously this will place another weeks' delay on my RP processing.

Eid will still be fun, though, as bars and nightclubs will open back up. Also, restaurants should be open during the day. I've also been told there is 3 days' worth of festival. I've enjoyed the dancing at night across the street in the City Center.

I had been holding off on really getting settled in until I knew for sure that everything would go through, in case something went wrong.

Time to go buy a coffee pot, and a wall clock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh I am so happy to see all of your comments!

I am also going to be a Cornell librarian. Arriving at work on 25th Oct. I will be staying where you are. I did see the apartments when I came for the interview but now I can't remember a few things. Please tell me were there bath towels in the apartment? How big are the beds - king or queen? I note you said you were going to buy a wall clock. I too was wondering if the place had any. Is there high speed/broadband Internet connection in the apartment and what phone system are you using to call folks in the US? Is there anything you wish you had brought with you that you didn't?

Looking forward to being there.

Your soon to be colleague.

Anonymous said...

Hey, so good to here you're doing fine! How do you like Dohe? Is the food all right? Are the people nice? Will you do a language course or is it easy to get along with english? Questions over questions! I'm curious!!!

All the best from good-old-Tucson,

Julia.