Wednesday 12 September 2007

Bahamas 2007


The Pirate's Lady, which we lived on for a week.


Photo of me, taken by my dive buddy.

I returned from the Bahamas on Saturday, after spending one week living on a boat for a huge diving trip. I dived 19 times in 6 days, which is really good. If you go on a land-based holiday, you are lucky to get 3 dives a day. With the liveaboard, though, you set up your gear once and then dive a lot. This is really cool, as you don't have to break your gear down after each dive. If you're diving with an integrated weight BCD, where your weights are in the BCD and not on your waist, this becomes even cooler.



I arrived in Freeport, Grand Bahama on Thursday, with no problems. My luggage was delivered promptly, and without any major defects. Thanks Continental!

Those who flew out of Dallas with American Airlines, though, didn't have such a nice time. Two people were unexcusibly delayed. Both had bought tickets beforehand for a specific flight and were not allowed to board their flights in spite of arriving at the airport beforehand, etc. AA wanted to charge one person $900 extra to take the flight he had already paid for. He wasn't even able to arrive in Freeport until Sunday evening.

Be warned. Air travel standards are becoming very low in the United States. I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who travel. I've got some myself.

Anyway. There's not much to do in Freeport, as I learned. When the cruise ships are in, the place is hopping. When they've gone, you can hear the wolves howl for 20 miles.

We had some nice dives. A few night dives, a few wreck dives, a shark dive, and lots in between.

I celebrated my 50th dive during this trip. It was quite a treat, with a whole heap of rays, two huge turtles, small child-eating fish, and warm water.

I saw an octopus for the first time on the first night dive we did.

Blackbeard's itself was a good time. It's not for fussy travelers, as you are in dorm-style accommodation with very little space. You share two showers with 25 people. That's kind of hard when everyone comes up from the night dive at the same time.

The crew, though, is first-class, and works hard to make your trip enjoyable.

I would definitely go again. It's good value for the money. As I found out, they're offering $100 off the cruise price from October--February. This is the off-season. We didn't need wetsuits in the water at all--85 degree water or so. But you would probably wear a 3mil in winter. Or I did in Cozumel, anyway.

T-minus 1 week until I depart the States for Qatar. I'm getting very excited to go.

No comments: